The dumpy tree frog is a popular pet because of its attractive looks. It is a famous species of frogs that are kept as pets. These cute frogs have a very peaceful nature and do not require much care. These friendly amphibians are easy to handle and are much better than the other frog species. You might be having many questions about them like how to keep them and what do they eat? You will get to know all this information and facts about these frogs below. Keep reading the article to know more about the dumpy tree frog and its characteristics.
White Dumpy Tree Frog
The dumpy tree frogs are also known as the Australian green tree frog or white tree frog. The scientific name of this green tree frog is ‘Ranoidea caerulea’.
The white dumpy tree frog habitat is in the warm tropics of New Guinea and Australia. You can find an array of colors in them from bright green to blue dumpy tree frog. The unique feature is that at night they change their color from green to grey.
These frogs are plumpy and have a fatty ridge over the eye. They have a golden iris which makes their eyes look more appealing.
This green tree frog also has a waxy covering on its body which helps them to retain moisture during the summer season.
Dumpy Tree Frog Size
The size of the dumpy tree frog is medium and the males and females are slightly different. The male frogs grow up to 3 inches while the female frogs can grow up to 4 inches in length. It has been seen that they reach their adult size in approximately 2 years.
Dumpy Tree Frog Lifespan
The dumpy or the white tree frogs are very rough and tough. They have an average life span between 15 to 20 years. These pets can only live a long life if their environment is healthy and their nutritional needs are getting fulfilled. There many problems that these green tree frogs can suffer from in captivity like obesity, and internal parasites.
White Dumpy Tree Frog Food
Frogs are mainly carnivores and you need to feed them a variety of food items and supplements to fulfill their nutritional needs.
You can include a variety of items in their diet like:
- Hornworms, etc.
- small pinky mice occasionally (for fully grown frogs)
Do remember that the juvenile frogs should be fed twice a week whereas the adult frogs must be fed at least 4 crickets twice a week.
You must also dust a vitamin D3 or calcium supplement on the food of your frog to meet its nutritional requirement.
Dumpy Tree Frog Care
Below I have given some tips and facts on how to care for your green tree frog.
- This species of frogs have extremely absorbent skin so you must make sure that you touch them with clean hands and there are no toxins and chemicals in their habitat.
- The biggest health issue with which the white tree frog suffers is Chytridiomycosis. It is caused by the chytrid fungus that causes lethargy and weight loss in frogs.
- You must dust calcium powder and vitamin D3 powder in their food as they are prone to get a metabolic bone disease.
- Make sure to keep the fresh and chlorine-free water in their tanks as they absorb water through their skin.
Dumpy Tree Frog Enclosure
There are certain necessities and requirements of the white dumpy tree frog that you must keep in mind while making their setup.
- The minimum size of a white tree frog tank setup should be 15 gallons. The best terrariums for them are glass or acrylic.
- The ideal temperature that you must maintain in the tank is from 76 degrees Fahrenheit to 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The dumpy tree frog humidity level should be around 50 to 60 percent in the substrate.
- The lighting used in the setup should be subdued as these frogs are nocturnal. This means that these frogs are more active at night.
- You must add some branches and live plants in the terrarium so that the frog can move around them and do not feel bored.
White Tree Frog Facts
Now, I will tell you some quick and interesting facts about the cute dumpy tree frog.
- The scientific name of this species of frog is ‘Ranoidea caerulea’. The other names are white tree frog, green tree frog, and Australian green tree frog.
- The origin of these frogs is traced in New Guinea and Australia.
- This species of frogs can grow up to 4 inches and have an average lifespan of 16 years. Usually, the female frogs are bigger than the male frogs.
- The skin of these frogs has antibacterial and antiviral properties that make them useful in pharmaceutical preparations.
- The green tree frogs are nocturnal which means that they are more active at night. They are also arboreal which means that they like tree-dwelling.
Are Dumpy Tree Frogs Good Pets?
Yes, the green tree frogs are a good pet. As they are affordable and are very easy to maintain. They have a submissive and peaceful nature.
What Do Dumpy Tree Frogs Eat?
This species of frogs eat gut-loaded crickets, waxworms, and earthworms. You can also feed them pinky mice once a month.
Do Dumpy Tree Frogs Get Lonely?
No, the white tree frogs don’t get lonely as they are not social animals except for the time of breeding.
Are Dumpy Tree Frogs Loud?
Yes, the green tree frogs can be a bit loud. Croaking is natural in frogs so you might find them doing that often when they become comfortable in their habitat.
What Size Tank Does A Dumpy Tree Frog Need?
ENCLOSURE SIZE:A minimum of 4 gallons of tank space per frog (minimum 10 gallons). 10, 20H or other taller tanks are commonly used. Remember that green tree frogs are TREE frogs, they are arboreal, and so a tank that supplies more height than width is always a better choice, such as a 20 High.
The dumpy tree frog is a very unique and peaceful pet. Keeping a frog does not require much maintenance. They are affordable and easily available in the pet shop. This species of frogs have originated from New Guinea and Australia. They are among the very few species of frogs which are petted by humans. They have a beautiful and striking green color which makes them a popular exotic pet all over the world. I am sure that after reading the article you will get complete information and details on the dumpy tree frog.
To Know Some Great Stuff Do Visit YesCancel
To Know Some Great Stuff Do Visit ZoConnects
To Know Some Great Stuff Do Visit blockvik