Made up of carbon and iron, steel is basically a metal alloy. Its excellent features like durability, low cost, and high strength make it a frequently used material in the industrial, engineering, and construction sectors. Steel comes in various grades and each grade offers a versatile set of qualities; mild steel is one-of-a-kind steel grade. In this article, we will explore the mild steel rate per kg, its characteristics, processing types, applications, and much more.
Here are the key characteristics of mild steel that set it apart from the rest:
· Pocket-Friendly: It is a ferrous metal which comes at a relatively low cost. It won’t be wrong to say that it is one of the most affordable steel grades. That’s why it’s a cost-effective option to produce everyday goods like steel pipes, cookware, automotive frames etc.
· Versatile: Its versatility makes it highly usable in a wide range of industrial applications.
· Low-Carbon: It comes with a low carbon content ranging between approximately 0.16%-0.29%, this is what makes it a cost-effective steel grade.
· Melting Point: It has a high melting point of around 1550°C-1520°C (as per Metals4U). When exposed to heat, the high melting point makes it highly ductile. This, in turn, makes it an ideal fit for cutting, drilling, forging, fabrication, and welding.
· Recyclable: Scrapped mild steel can be recycled indefinitely without compromising on quality. MS scrap can be recovered easily from unsegregated trash, all thanks to its high magnetic properties.
Other grades such as SS scrap price will be different as compared to MS scrap because MS and SS prices vary as well.
· S-T-W Ratio: When it comes to metal weight, mild steel is one of the lightest grades as compared to the other carbon steel grades. As a matter of fact, the carbon content determines the total weight of carbon steel. Regardless of its low weight, the strength-to-weight ratio is on the higher side which makes it a tough metal that lasts long.
· Ease Of Weldability: As per steel experts, weldability is one of the most crucial characteristics of mild steel. Contrary to other carbon steel types, MS can be welded due to its steel composition. That’s the reason why electric currents move easily through without changing the metal’s look and feel.
· Malleability: It is highly malleable; it can withstand enormous force & pressure. It can easily be bent, welded, and stretched without deforming.
Mild Steel Rate Per kg
Mentioned below are FOR prices for RINL Angle 50 x 6 E250 BR:
· Guwahati: ₹61,500/MT
· Jaipur: ₹60,500/MT
· Jammu: ₹61,500/MT
· Kochi: ₹60,000/MT
· Kanpur: ₹59,200/MT
· Mumbai: ₹59,500/MT
· Nagpur: ₹57,800/MT
Kindly Note: The prices are as of 27 December 2023.
On the basis of specific requirements and application, cold rolled (CR) steel as well as hot rolled steel (HR) can be made using mild steel. Let’s decode both the processes:
· Cold Rolled Steel: As the name suggests, it is a steel type which is processed at room temperature/ lower than its recrystallisation temperature before giving it a final shape or finish. In this process, steel is rolled through a range of rollers to reduce its thickness and give it a desired shape or form.
Typically, cold-rolled steel is shaped into strips, coils, & sheets. One major benefit of cold-rolled steel is its precision and consistency. Being manufactured at room temperature or below, it is highly unlikely to distort or warp. This rolling process produces steel with a very smooth and polished surface finish, making it highly useful for appearance-based applications.
· Hot Rolled Steel: True to its name, under this process, the steel is exposed to heat above its recrystallisation temperature, which is roughly between 850°C-1200 °C (as per ScienceDirect). Then, it rolled as per the pre-decided thickness or shape. Under this process, a rough surface finish is produced which is often employed in structural components be it railroad tracks, sheet metal and I-beams.
Hands down, strength is the best thing about hot-rolled steel. HR steel derives its strength from its production process which involves heating steel first and then cooling it quickly during the rolling process. Also, the end product of this process is a durable material which can’t bend or break quickly.
This process produces versatile steel which can have various thicknesses and shapes.
As compared to CR, HR steel is pocket-friendly steel as it has a higher dimensional tolerance and a lower-grade surface finish. While CR incurs relatively higher costs it provides better surface finish and dimensional precision.
Let’s have a look at the key applications of MS:
· Machinery: Due to its high strength, hardness, and ductility, it is used for producing machine accessories. The low carbon composition enables the steel to be cut, machined, pressed, and moulded without deforming or breaking.
· Construction & Infrastructure: Packed with high tensile strength, it simplifies building frames for construction projects. It is at par with seismic standards, which makes it construction-friendly.
· Cookware & Cutlery: Its low carbon content keeps rust at bay. It is used for making cookware as mild steel is relatively heat resistant when compared to other materials such as aluminium. Also, if compared with aluminium cookware, it is a much healthier option.
· Pipelines: Pipe manufacturers prefer mild steel for making pipes as it is incredibly malleable. In addition to that, the presence of low-carbon, MS pipes don’t freeze or corrode in weather conditions.
In The Nutshell
Being a highly adaptable metal alloy, mild steel is employed in a plethora of sectors due to its sheer strength and mind-blowing cost. By default, mild steel doesn’t come with high corrosion-resistant properties. By adding a surface protection agent to its surface, it can keep corrosion and rust at bay. Additionally, an array of metal paint, red oxide primers, metal spray paints, zinc treatments etc. are available in the market that help enhance mild steel’s corrosion resistance.
With that being said, the mild steel rate per kg is cheaper than some steel grades. Its cost is yet another reason that makes it stand out.